Medieval II Total War Campaign Chronicles

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Medieval II Total War Turkish Chronicles 01 Turn 1-5

Here we go for the New Year a new Chronicles! This time I choose the faction base on the big number of people asking for a Turkish Chronicles. Since many fans seem to have had a hard time with them, I hope you will be able to learn some trick from this new Chronicles showing the Turkish way of making war.
So enjoy the ride.



First let’s have a small view of the Turk situation. Turk are surrounded by rebel. That mean they are not at risk of getting siege in the early turn. So they must take the opportunity to expend on those rebels as fast as they can. In this first episode, I rush to conquer rebel territory before the real war against Byzantine and Egypt start. To expend you must first have money and mobility. You can achieve that by building road. They increase commerce and your army mobility. That's what I did.

The Turk also start with a very spread around territory and weak army. So you need to concentrate your strength toward achievable objective and use the early Turk strength instead of waiting for it to grow. The faster you expend, the stronger you will become. If you wait, you will give the advantage to your enemies.

The Turk might seem weak at first but that's because you need use archer cavalry and using hit and run tactic you can win very fast and with very little lose.

Historically the Turk didn't fight for valor and honor the same way as knight did, they fought to win battles first. In clear it means that there is no shame in running away in front of your enemies. That's what made Saladin's army so effective against Crusader. His archer cavalry had light armor and bow; they could attack and withdraw very fast. While heavy crusader cavalry were tired really fast.

Also the fact that Turk were using Female Horse allowed them to have a very good control over them since female horse was more docile. Crusader had male horse; I think you can figure out how controllable male horses were against an army of female horse... The biggest Turk weakness what the early division between them self. I guess Medieval 2 Total War represent that division by the many rebel town and fort around.

So expending is really the priority and by doing so you must compete with your future enemies, the Byzantine and Egypt, even if it means starting a war against them.

This quick expansion leading us to this first battle against Rebel.



One of the really effective ways to take a city early in the game is to wait until the enemies come out to break the siege. This situation allows you to have a serious advantage against the enemies since they can only come out of the city in a very dense column. So you need to surround them with cavalry and use your infantry to block the attacking column into a static formation.

With the Turk the main problem is that they don't have any reliable troop in melee so you need to use your missile troop to weaken the enemies until you become confident that if you charge the enemies they will run away. That's what I did in this battle but took me sometime since the enemy were more and had better troops

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, been following your chronicles for awhile and it's all excellent. Very good job. I'm pretty excited that you've planned to try out the Turkish, because I'm playing the Turks too, on H/H. It's really hellish playing, but all the more fun as a result. Maybe, in your next part, you could advice us on how the Turks could repel a horse archer army, such as the Mongols. Of course, i cheated and used assasins against the Mongs but maybe you would take a more honourable path?

Attila said...

hehe, happy you enjoy the chronicles =)
As for the Mongols. I think all way you can find to beat them is legitimate. The thing is that I don't know if Mongols can be destroy. I did made them flee 3 time in one game, but they kept coming...

So I don't really know how to win against them with a turkish army. But I know they are possible at least to stop...

Anonymous said...

Dear Attila: What do you think of the portuguese faction??
And,have you fought against the timurids yet?

Attila said...

I fought a little the portugese, they are really similar to the spanish... They gave me a good fight =)

as for Timurid I fought them many time. They are alway as annoying... Not much else to say about them ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey,what about the papal states?
Were you able to defeat them once you conquered europe??

Attila said...

Well I killed many pope, and controle rome most of the time, but the thing is that the pope away reappear. So I don't know how it work when you have killed all Christian faction, if he reappear.

Anonymous said...

hey i liked how you told us to build things like roads thats the stuff i was talking about :D

Attila said...

hehe, yeah i told myself you would like it =)

Anonymous said...

Hey attila
First I wanted to tell you that your work with the Total War games has been excellent! Congratulations!
Second, I would like to ask you something. I use FRAPS to record my games, but I don't record sound or my Microphone will capture ALL the sounds in my room, not only my games. Is there anyway of changing the sound capturing to only the program running? Like an internal microphone, maybe... If there isn't, what program you advise me to use, which can record only the game sound? And I prefer freeware, if you dont mind :P

Attila said...

Happy you enjoyed my work =)

As for your question, go in your sound option of you computer, and make sure the microphone is on mute

If that doesn't, well in the "movie" tab of Fraps, you can choose "detect best sound input" or "Use Windows input", maybe switch to see if this fix it.

You could alway record exclusively the sound with "Audacity" software, but would be a pain to edit videos like that.

I think the first option I give you is the most likely to fix it.

DateyourGame's Blog