Medieval II Total War Campaign Chronicles

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Medieval II Total War Turkish Chronicles 04 Turn 10-16



Very early in the game it is important to develop your economy not so much to make money, but to sustain your future army. One mistake you might make is to actually believed that it is important to develop your economy to actually become rich. But it’s not the goal at all. Your economy is a way to sustain your empire, not to make it rich. Conquering territory is what makes your empire rich. The only goal you have when you develop you economy is to maintain a balance between the money you make and the cost of maintaining your empire.

So you need to invest the money you make from your farm, road, port, merchant, etc, into building your armies and the money you make from pillage to developing your building and economy to sustain your empire. And this episode shows in a way show that process.

Small detail here, for some reason a small part of the campaign is missing…
So in that missing part I destroyed Byzantine army near my newly conquered city. Build a boat and landed my troop near Constantinople. I then engaged the enemies outside the city wall leading to this battle.



This is an other night battle where I decimate the enemies from a far and rout the first army really quick.

Then I reform my army and prepare to engage the second army. It is important that no soldier of the second army escape so that I can capture Constantinople in the same turn, undefended.

This second army is better then the fist one and I use my infantry to keep the enemy infantry busy. During that time I can capture the isolated enemy general, leaded to a complete defeat of the enemies. The rest is just a pursuit of the routed army. Simply but effective plan =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it actually fun to always win on very hard with only a few deaths? I mean for you the AI isn't a challenge anymore.

Attila said...

Very good and smart question Kinshasa.

As you can see, for me it's no more a challenge to win at Very Hard...

I have a too deep understanding of the AI and don't enjoy the game as much as earlier Total War when it was a challenge for me.

I think you could say that I use the strategy "Know your enemies better then yourself".

I don't believe that I'm that good at this game, I just know all the weakness of the enemies. Leading me to totally dominate them.

I think the moment I enjoy the most in the game is when I actually lose, because that force me to improve myself and learn from it.

The fact of recording all my battle also made the game really easier for me, because by watching myself playing, I see all my own weakness, leading me to fix them.

So I guess now people think, well, why not play the multiplayer?

Well I have 15 years of experience as a gamer, and proved my skill as a gamer sooo many time in the past, against sooo many player, in sooo many games. That I don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone.

Also, my main interest of Total War is the campaign map, Battles are nice indeed... but I'm not that much of a fan of them. I like the global strategy and at a smaller level, help that global strategy by winning battles that are not decided by pure statistic like in many turn based games. So I like Total War, but at the same time, It doesn't give me any challenge anymore leading me to have less fun...

Anonymous said...

You should try some mods that improve the AI. I started my own turkey err turkish campaign going good so far constantinople is being constantly sieged and I always win defending it hehe 4 full crusade stack 2 full stack of other factions and Constantinople is still standing :). Your chronicles and battles help me alot on how to react to certain situations keep it up :D

Attila said...

Happy to see that It help =)

Anonymous said...

actually being rich helps sometimes a lot in the campaign.

For example in my first english campaign I conquered whole middle europe, and started pouring full stacks from Hamburg and Magdeburg.

I had to blitz the russians and then I'd go for Jerusalem and victory. The key was mercenaries, my comp usually is shitty and lags always in the sieges so that they are no way enjoyable to play.

I also had huge numbers of family members, so I quickly blitzed to the russian's gates and began sieging.

I wanted to auto-resolve the siege battles so I blitzed all my nearby characters w/ some infantry near the sieged towns and hired mercenaries to complete their armies to full strenght.

This is also a nice option if you have a close defeat in a pitched battle, but you decimate the enemy forces too.


You would like to rush to that weakly defended enemy town castle, but you have'nt got enough troops.


This happened to me once against the Hungarians near their last city. I was so glad that I could hire those mercenary spearmen and start sieging right away, and exterminate the Hungarians right after.

The Answer: Mercenaries :D

Attila said...

Well by being rich I mostly mean cumulating money instead of investing it. At the end of a turn you should have very little money left =)

DateyourGame's Blog