Medieval II Total War Campaign Chronicles

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Rome Total War German Chronicles 21 My Favorite Battle



Here was my favorite battle. It's a 16 min long battle and I must admit I could have won, if I had played better. But it's a great battle anyway.

In this Battle the Senate counter attack my German army and ultimately won.

As you may have noticed, very early in the battle I engaged the enemy general unit with all my cavalry and some infantry. His body guard unit resisted very long considering he was totally outnumbered. I retired my cavalry but didn't expected the enemies cavalry to from my "blind" spot. Fortunately they didn't do much damage.They probably could have routed my cavalry.

On my Right Flank you can see that I engaged my axeman in a fight against another general body guard unit. It was a little error, but was needed to prevent this enemy unit from attacking my back. I should have been a little more cheap and deploy my spearman to the border of the map. But I decided to be fairplay.

I redeployed my cavalry on my Right flank to take care of the enemy generals units. And during that time my "light" infantry was engaged in a bloody fight on the Left flank where they ultimately panicked under the bigger number of Romans.

So around 4 or 5 min into the battle the situation looked very bad. But the fact that the enemies are now a little tired and concentrated allow some of my spearman to hold the line against them for short amount of time allowing my cavalry to route the skirmishers and some infantry on the rear of the main Senate battle force.

At 6 min into the battle, the reinforcement army flees. Reducing the pressure a little, but the Senate battle forces are still many and now surrounding my remaining spearman units. As my cavalry force ,getting smaller, delivers a small charge against the enemies.

At 6:46 the remaining spearman are totally surrounded and it is clear to me that the Senate army won that battle. But knowing that the Senate keeps sending troops to lift sieges I try to use some rallied troops to fight in a skirmish war against the Senate army. So I tried to isolate the Senate units and keep them busy with my infantry while charging the rear. As you can see that strategy worked very well. But when I lost my infantry, it become clear that the battle was lost. (But I could have won by running around with my general and get the battle to run out of time, but that's cheap.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a Pyrrhic victory for the romens then, THAT has to be your moss bloodyest battles ever wow!! how far did that defeat set you back?

Attila said...

Might be surprising but that wasn't a big set back, in 2 turn I had recover and counter attacked.

Anonymous said...

lol no way! did all your units surive do you could retrain them? your general was lucky he was not one of dead! you have to admit the romans did very good considering you killed both of there gernals and haveing half there amry run away, when i fist saw that it look as if you were going to win flat out but the romans they turned it arond

Attila said...

Yep most units survived and could be retrain. I also had unit in production in my "Gauls cities"
So the war could continue.

As for the general i think you could consider that they lost more then 2 general, they lost some "family member" So it was an heavy cost for them =)

DateyourGame's Blog