Medieval II Total War Campaign Chronicles

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Rome Total War German Chronicles 50 Conquering Greece



This battle is the first battle of a series of battles on the west coast of Greece. The main purpose of this army, on the strategic level of Rome Total War, is to keep Romans busy to the west. During that time another strong German army captured all cities to the east, rarely defended by more then by 2 units per city.

In this battle, what is interesting is my use of the box formation. The box formation is really effective against most enemies. I would recommend having a very good general to successfully maintain that formation, because it might have an impact on morale if your soldier are surrounded by enemies. Also, note that the corners of the box are your weak point, and are certainly the points the enemies will concentrate on.

One of my innovations in that battle was to deploy my light infantry and cavalry in the back of my box. I must say that I didn't really know how I would use it, but tried anyway. It proved to be a good move. Some enemy's infantry were sent to engage my light force. I reacted by opening my box formation into an "Û" formation. So I charged the enemies on my left flank. This charge combined with the fact that the enemies now had phalanxes on the flank made them panic before even engaging the fight. Knowingly the chain reaction of the panic, I kept pursuing the enemies, breaking enemies one after the other. However it cost me some troops and when I felt that my general was becoming too weak I retired him back into my secure "U" formation and ordered the entire army forward to finish the fight.

No comments:

DateyourGame's Blog